Miss Money

Miss Money is my anonymous personal finance blog. I will divulge my career opportunities, income, expenditures, savings, and debt. My goals include moving my net worth from "negative" -$45,500 to -$33,000 in one year, get out of credit card debt and improve my FICO credit score from 656 to 750.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Carolina, United States

Friday, March 17, 2006

10 Things Progress Update

NEW ITEMs FOR 10 THINGS

**I can sell my old graduate school textbooks on HALF.COM and liquidate those into some cash which can be added to credit card regular payments. - PROGRESS: 40 ITEMS ONLINE FOR SALE AND I HAVE HAD 4 SALES SO FAR FOR ABOUT $28, SHIPPING ITEMS TOMORROW.

***I can call the bank of my largest credit card balance and get the interest rate reduced significantly by threatening to transfer my balance to a 0% rate card. - DONE, CALLED BANK AND THEY REDUCED THE INTEREST RATE FROM 22% VARIABLE TO 10.99% FIXED RATE. SINCE THIS CARD WILL BE PAID OFF IN ABOUT 3 MONTHS - THIS SHOULD SAVE ME A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS.

ORIGINAL ITEMS UPDATES

1. I can reduce my Netflix plan from 6 films at a time for $36 to 3 films at a time for $18. This will give me more flexibility in my entertainment budget line. --- DONE

2. Cut up all credit cards, so that it is impossible to charge them back up once they are paid off. --DONE

3. Stop eating out and ordering takeout! Brown bag it every day. - THIS ONE IS REALLY HARD. I STOPPED ORDERING OUT WHILE AT WORK BUT WHEN I COME HOME LATE, PIZZA or MCDONALD'S SURE SOUNDS EASY.

4. Use my tax refund(s) to pay off credit cards more quickly. -- DONE

5. Remove the "cable" part of the "cable internet" bill. Watch movies instead of TV! This saves $60 per month! - NEED TO TAKE CABLE BOX BACK TO CABLE OFFICE. PENDING.

6. Keep a close eye on lights and heating to help reduce the out of control electric/gas bill. - WHETHER IS CHANGING AND WE HAVEN'T REALLY HAD THE HEAT OR AIR ON THIS WEEK

7. Lay off iTunes for a minimum of 3 months. Small sacrifice for a short period of time. - GOOD SO FAR

8. Use Bank of America's Keep the Change program to save up small amounts of cash. When it gets to $25 or $50, transfer it back to the checking account and immediately pay it on a credit card. -- I DID THIS UNTIL I WAS UP TO $11.00, THEN I WAS MAKING A BIG PAYMENT SO I ROLLED THAT $11 INTO IT. I AM NOW BACK UP TO $2.40.

9. Scour receipts and send in all reimbursement requests and expense reports. Get Health Savings Account OTC costs reimbursed. - DONE, PENDING RECEIPT OF HSA FUNDS IN DIRECT DEPOSIT - PROCESSING TAKES A WHILE.

10. Save spare change around the house and collect a minimum of $10 to put on a credit card. - $10 NEEDS TOBE DEPOSITED NEXT TIME AND THEN ADDED TO NEXT BULK PAYMENT.

TO DO:
- SHIP ITEMS AND WATCH PRICING ON HALF.COM ITEMS
- COME UP WITH A FEASIBLE SOLUTION TO STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON EATING OUT. PERHAPS ENVELOPE SYSTEM FOR FOOD WILL HELP THIS. STARTING ENVELOPE SYSTEM THIS WEEKEND.
- TAKE CABLE BOX BACK TO REDUCE BILL.
- CONTINUE POSITIVE PROGRESS IN OTHER AREAS

2 Comments:

Blogger Frugal Homemaker said...

Just found your blog! I love it, and it sounds like you're doing great.

I feel your pain on the takeout. That is easily my biggest weakness. One thing that helps me is my slow cooker (crock pot). I put the ingreedients in the crock the night before and put that in the fridge. I put the heater part on the counter so I don't forget about it. The next morning, I put the crock in the heater thingy, and ta-da! Dinner is ready when I get home. It may be worth a shot- plus there are yummy leftovers for the next day!

Here's one of my favorite super easy recipies-

Take 1 large roast (any hunk of red meat is fine- get the cheapest- watch for markdowns) OR several (say 5-8) boneless chicken breasts. Put it in the crock.

Dump one jar of salsa over it. (Any is fine- I use the cheapest possible.)

Cook on low for at least 8 hours. When you're ready to eat it, shread the meat with a fork and put it on soft tortillas or in taco shells. Easy, fast, and yummy.

May 24, 2006 9:10 AM  
Anonymous andy said...

Hi, just found your blog today. Its great, but it looks like you stopped writing? Ahh too bad, maybe you'll get back into it.

Andy

November 08, 2007 9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google