Miss Money

Miss Money is my anonymous personal finance blog. I will divulge my career opportunities, income, expenditures, savings, and debt. My goals include moving my net worth from "negative" -$45,500 to -$33,000 in one year, get out of credit card debt and improve my FICO credit score from 656 to 750.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Carolina, United States

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Savings on track...other items

I have managed to keep my savings relatively stable in this maelstrom of expenses I have been involved in. I am proud to say that I am one a half weeks away from moving over 500 miles away and my savings is at $525. I have put back almost everything I borrowed from it to purchase my car and I still have a laptop and some books and CD's to liquidate to pump it back up to its "pre-newjobhavetomove" levels.

After listening to Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover on my ipod recently, I see the logic in having at least $1,000 in savings when starting a debt reduction plan or "snowball" as he calls it.
I was always a big fan of emergency savings but realizing how this could throw my get-out-of-debt plans could be throw off track by unexpected expenses has convinced me.

I also feel that I must have $1,000 minimum because with my new car insurance I chose $1,000 deductibles. That means, I have to come up with that if anything happens -- in cash or else resort to putting it on a newly paid down credit card. No way!

So, while I am putting back my original amounts ($625 before moving and car purchase expenses infringed on it) I am going to go ahead an beef it up to $1,000 ASAP.

4 Comments:

Anonymous ;isa said...

Hey was checking out your blog and noticed you are moving to South Carolina. My husband's family is in Seabrook (guess it's near Charleston). Are you moving near there too. Can you sometimes note in your future blog entries about the cost of living there (or e-mail me and let me know). Joe wants to be closer to his parents but here in Michigan we each have a job and only pay 330 for lot rent (mobile home is paid off). so it's kind of daunting thinking about up rooting and moving. Thanks

September 22, 2005 5:50 PM  
Blogger FirstStartFinance said...

Hey, I just stumbled on your blog and read every post and I think it's great! I love seeing someone in our age group take control of his or her finances and strive towards financial independence. I'm definately going to be linking to your blog. Keep blogging and hope everything's going well!

October 23, 2005 4:01 PM  
Blogger Matthew D. Hutcheson said...

Hi,

I'm very impressed with your blog. Your message is right "on the money." The reason I am emailing you is to see if you would consider a swap of sorts.

While I was surfing Blog explosion, I am came accross your blog, and thought it would be a perfect fit for some of my blog visitors. Also, I have an audio CD that is complimentary in every way with your message, called "The Retirement Playbook Volume 1." Would you consider making this audio cd available on your site? We could split the proceeds 50/50 via a paypal arrangment. Let me know what you think, and thanks for your consideration.

You can visit my blog and websites through the links below:

www.retirementhourblog.com
www.retirementhour.com
www.americasretirementcoach.com

Hope to hear from you.

Best,
Matt

October 28, 2005 9:27 PM  
Blogger Empty Spaces Inc. said...

your blog stops in september? what have you been upto for the past 2 months?

December 01, 2005 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google