Miss Money

Miss Money is my anonymous personal finance blog. I will divulge my career opportunities, income, expenditures, savings, and debt. My goals include moving my net worth from "negative" -$45,500 to -$33,000 in one year, get out of credit card debt and improve my FICO credit score from 656 to 750.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Carolina, United States

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Renter's Insurance

A question for everyone:

Should I get renter's insurance? I do not own a home but I do have an extensive library and a few valuables not to mention clothes, computers, etc.

Renter's insurance has been quoted to me at $150 per year, but I have also heard that it takes a lot of trouble to set up (taking pictures of your belongings and itemizing everything). Is it time consuming? Does it matter?

Should I buy it? Is it worth the time and money?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Henry said...

Renter's insurance is a good idea, especially if you have valuables or other expensive items to replace if they're stolen/damaged.

I didn't need to take pictures or anything like that to set up my policy. They asked me a list of questions regarding my posessions and their (est.) worth and came up with $15K worth of coverage.

I got a renters policy at the same time as my car insurace, so the whole process took about 40 min.

August 22, 2005 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Eric said...

You must think of it this...

If you have a fire or someone breaks into your appartment and take somethign that is very precious to you, will it have been worth a couple of hours of time to at least get some value for it? You can never replace something that is sentimental, but you could get paid for it and help aleve some of the pain. Just my 2 cents worth.

August 22, 2005 5:53 PM  
Blogger Cary said...

More than worth it. YOu may never file a claim, but what is peace of mind worth to you?

Surfed in from BLogExplosion - Nice site!

August 22, 2005 6:03 PM  
Blogger April said...

Thank you all for the thoughts on renter's insurance. I will decide over the next few weeks and if I choose to do it find some money in my budget.

Nice to know that Blog Explosion is working! Check back often!

Thanks a bunch for reading Miss Money!

August 22, 2005 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google