Miss Money

Miss Money is my anonymous personal finance blog. I will divulge my career opportunities, income, expenditures, savings, and debt. My goals include moving my net worth from "negative" -$45,500 to -$33,000 in one year, get out of credit card debt and improve my FICO credit score from 656 to 750.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Quicken or MS Money???

I need some advice. My computer, which I recently purchased, came equipped with Quicken, but I have had trouble getting it to integrate with my online banking account. Being able to download my expenditures and credits is the most important feature but for some reason, it will not do this for me. Is it Quicken's fault, my fault or Bank of America's?

If Quicken will not do this for me, what features does Microsoft Money have? I do not currently own this software, but I would shell out the cash for it if it was easy to use and useful.

If anyone has any advice on this issue, let me know. I think having a good money management software is important and could be helpful to this project. Right now I am using a manual calculator, my online banking, and an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my budget. I would rather hit a button, download my transactions and see how I am doing in total. So, Quicken or MS Money -- or is there another good program I might be overlooking?

4 Comments:

Blogger lpkitten said...

i personally use quicken and love it. i'm not sure what would be causing the problem with the web connect, but even though i can go in and download my transaction history, i prefer to enter it in manually while checking my online checking statement. i find that i'm much more likely to catch any errors, and i stop and think about all of the purchases that i've made (if I make an unnecessary purchase at least later i'll think twice about it). i'm purposely bought using an older version of quicken though (2003) because I heard that a lot of people didn't like the newer versions. maybe buying an older version would help?

August 17, 2005 11:55 PM  
Blogger April said...

I think I will try Quicken again. I also downloaded a 2006 MS Money preview and I am trying that. The integration did not work that program either so I guess it is a problem with my bank or account. Maybe starting September 1st I will begin entering every transaction and try it for one month. Thanks for the tip.

August 18, 2005 10:41 AM  
Blogger Flexo said...

Miss April Money,

I used to use Microsoft Money but I switched to Quicken. I don't necessarily think it's better, but it was such a project to convert everything to Quicken I don't plan on converting everything back to Money again. I think Quicken might have a slight edge, but neither works exactly the way I want.

A lot of banks are dropping Quicken web connect (auto download) support because Intuit is forcing financial institutions to pay large fees...

August 18, 2005 6:29 PM  
Blogger April said...

Flexo:

Thanks for the comment. That might explain why my online banking does not integrate with either software package.

I think I will give Quicken (since it came free with my computer) a whirl in September, testing it to see if manually entering the transaction is too laborious.

August 18, 2005 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google