Miss Money

Miss Money is my anonymous personal finance blog. I will divulge my career opportunities, income, expenditures, savings, and debt. My goals include moving my net worth from "negative" -$45,500 to -$33,000 in one year, get out of credit card debt and improve my FICO credit score from 656 to 750.

My Photo
Name:
Location: South Carolina, United States

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

New Job Offer!!!

I was offered another position today. This was the position I have been wanting with the fundraising software consulting company. I had taken the university position here in DC because I didn't think they would have a contract set up in the immediate future, opening up a position for me at one of their client universities.

Turns out they do. A university in South Carolina has signed up and needs an experienced program manager. They need to hire, relocate, and train someone in the position to be ready to go in 4-6 weeks. They called me today to see if I was interested.

I told them I had already accepted another position, but called them back later to discuss the opportunity in more detail. (I figure its better to cancel on a job before you start rather than begin work and be trained and then quit 4-6 months into it.)

They offered the slot to me on the spot and they made a very lucrative offer. I would make $45,500 with a $2,500 signing bonus. Relocation expenses (up to $2,700) are also part of the package. They have great corporate benefits - 401K with match, all health insurances (dental and vision included), etc. They also are willing to pay for me to visit the city and university where I will be stationed before I move. They get me the $2,500 check more quickly than usual too, so I would have cash on hand to pay for my move.

My partner is discussing opportunities with his current job for moving his job to a contract basis where he can work from anywhere. He is a writer, photographer, and editor for a political newspaper. If this works out (which is highly likely as it has been discussed for a while), it would be ideal.

I think it will be a great opportunity and they really seem to like my experience. The incentive structure at this company is stellar. I would be eligible for a raise in December, pending a performance review. (I would be eligible for one quarter of the normal raise, since I was there for one quarter of this year.) And if I meet my performance goals and statistics for the program, I would be eligible for a trip to Cancun or somewhere every year and a $2,000 year end bonus.

This certainly pumps up my debt reduction program, but I will have to get a car for this city. I will keep Miss Money readers updated as to the financial developments associated with the move! Also, the median real estate cost for a single family home in this area is only $87,000!! That means I will probably be able to purchase a home in about a year, and rents are lower as well. (That's the great thing about DC - it makes you realize how cheap you have it everywhere else!)

I feel lucky and grateful! Sometimes things just work out!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for it!

-Tim
Youngmiser

August 26, 2005 3:34 PM  
Blogger Pappy said...

Good luck. Maybe you can afford this child support payments now.

Pappy
Mackin with Pappy

August 28, 2005 4:59 PM  
Blogger April said...

Thanks for the support guys. Please see my next post for the details of topsy-turvy my finances are going to be for a while! It'll be rough for a bit while I move but everything will be better after the fact!

I appreciate the support!

August 28, 2005 7:07 PM  
Blogger lpkitten said...

that sounds like a great opportunity. congrats!

August 29, 2005 7:24 PM  
Blogger ncnblog said...

Hey, Just found your blog...Great Stuff!
ncnblog

August 29, 2005 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo
Google